Statement of Ambition
In June 2022 we launched our new Statement of Ambition which replaces our 2017 and 2019 Statements with a new single Statement to reflect signatories’ desire to be climate leaders as science and policy evolves. The Statement, which signatories will be working towards by September 2025 at the latest is designed to drive signatories to go further and faster across the three key pillars of climate action – mitigation, adaptation, and transition.
Climate Leaders Coalition new Statement of Ambition
*Bold text indicates the minimum requirements required to sign up to the new Statement. Existing signatories have up to 12 months to meet the minimum requirements. All requirements of the new Statement must be met within two years of sign up or September 2025 (whichever is soonest).
As signatories to the Climate Leaders Coalition, we are committed to working together to accelerate our transition towards a zero-carbon and climate resilient future where Aotearoa, and all New Zealanders, can thrive.
We honour the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and play our part in supporting Aotearoa’s domestic and international climate commitments by:
- Reducing our own emissions and leading the way on climate adaptation and a just transition;
- Creating momentum that influences all businesses to act on climate change, and providing peer-to-peer support that enables this; and
- Promoting cross-party support for effective policy that provides the certainty that businesses and communities need to invest and transform.
As a Signatory to the Coalition, our businesses are holding each other accountable for:
- Measuring our emissions, having them independently verified, and reporting them publicly;
- Adopting short-and-long-term gross absolute science aligned targets for scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions to support the delivery of substantial reductions needed to limit future warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius;
- Assessing climate change risks and opportunities (including in the value chain), setting objectives and/or target(s) to reduce these risks and maximise opportunities, and publicly disclosing them;
- Proactively enabling our employees, board members, customers, and suppliers to reduce their emissions and climate change risks;
- Embedding plans within our businesses to accelerate climate action across mitigation, adaptation, and transition, and incorporate te ao Māori perspectives;
- Preparing for the next frontier of climate action, including considering the assessment of nature-based risks and long-term climate positive targets.
Support for signatories to meet the new Statement of Ambition
The key ways we can support signatories to meet the new Statement commitments are:
In March 2022 we launched the Coalition’s mentoring programme. This is an opt-in programme that enables signatories to mentor or be mentored by other signatories on areas to advance their organisation’s climate action. This allows for peer-to-peer support. Please email us if you would like to take part.
In April 2022 we launched the Coalition’s Masterclass series. This once a month online workshop is led by a signatory to help others make faster progress on their area of expertise. These are focused on topics that enable signatories to build capability, support achievement of the Statement of Ambition requirements and advance their climate action. Watch the previous Materclasses here