By joining the Coalition, each organisation has committed to voluntarily measuring and reporting their greenhouse gas emissions, setting a public emissions reduction target consistent with keeping within 2°C of warming, and working with suppliers to reduce their emissions.
The organisations that have joined the Coalition see reducing their emissions as an opportunity to reduce their impact on the environment, demonstrate their values, save money and win new clients and customers.
Climate action depends on the nature of the individual organisation but can include:
- Mapping your carbon footprint using one of the available tools to work out where you can make reductions
- Converting company vehicle fleets to electric
- Reducing air travel by using video conferencing, embracing flexible working arrangements and offsetting unavoidable air travel
- Tackling the transportation of goods by improving the utilisation of shipping containers and trucks, using hybrid or electric delivery vehicles, and rail where possible
- Diverting waste from landfill into recycling and composting
- Tackling the supply chain by partnering with like-minded businesses
- Switching lighting to LEDs and utilising natural light
- Reducing power consumption at premises
- Collaborating with other businesses to find low-carbon solutions.
Specific examples of what each business is doing can be found on the who and news pages.
Spark is also leading an innovation workstream called Climate-X. It brings together a fast-paced, start-up mindset, powerful influencers, robust systems and intelligent, collaborative action. Find out more at Climate-X.
We also have:
- resources to help businesses achieve their climate commitments
- case studies to help businesses make faster progress on their commitments from learning from other Coalition signatories
- an events calendar to provide businesses with opportunities to learn, find solutions and hear how others are tackling climate change.